Articles | How to Register to Vote in San Diego County and/or Be a Poll Worker

How to Register to Vote in San Diego County and/or Be a Poll Worker

By: Lisa Lorraine Bowen
June 11th , 2017

Eligibility to Vote

To be eligible to vote in San Diego County you must:

  1. 1. Be a United States citizen.
  2. 2. Be a resident of San Diego County
  3. 3. Be at least 18 years old (if 17 years of age you must be 18 by the time of the next upcoming election)
  4. 4. Not be in prison or currently on parole for a felony conviction.
  5. 5. Not be judged by a court as being mentally incompetent.

Register to Vote

The most convenient way to register to vote in San Diego County is to do so online. This can be done at the website here.

If you have a California Driver's License than you will be able to complete the whole process online. Without a California Driver's License the website will assist you in preparing a Voter Registration Form that needed to be printed out and mailed in.

To receive a voter registration card directly by mail or pick on up visit or call.

  1. San Diego Registrar of Voter's
  2. 5600 Overland Avenue
  3. San Diego, CA 92123
  4. 619-565-5800

Locate your Polling Place

If you need to find out where your polling place is on Election Day, it is printed on the backside of the sample ballot pamphlet that was mailed to you. Also, the Register of Voters has an online locator to help you. Please click the link below to use the locator. Remember that the polls open at 7:00am and close at 8:00pm. If you have an absentee ballot that you have not mailed on Election Day you can turn that ballot in at the polls.

Be a Poll Worker

What better way to be involved with your community and get to exercise your civic duties and get involved with the community then by being a poll worker on election days. Workers are also paid between $75 to $150 based on their assignment and an additional $15 if they are bilingual in Filipino, Spanish and Vietnamese.

Poll Worker Programs

The following is a listing of some of the more popular poll worker programs:

College & High School Student Poll Worker Programs - Students can earn a community service award by being a poll worker, even though they are not eligible to vote. Based on the school district the poll worker compensation will either go to the school or the student directly.

Qualifications for this program are that the student must be 16 years old by Election Day, be a US citizen, have a grade point average of at least 2.5 and be proficient in English.

County & State Poll Worker Programs - Government employees are allowed to take the day off with pay in order to work the polls (subjected to supervisor's approval). They will also be eligible for the poll worker compensation, although unclassified managers are not eligible compensation.
To apply for either program or for more information contact the Registrar of Voter at (858) 565-5800.

Provide A Polling Place

Every election the Registrar of Voters is in need of more polling places. As more people get involved by making their vote count. There is a shortage of polls. If you would like to rent a polling place to the city the compensation is $50.00. An additional $20.00 is available if you also provide tables and chairs to be used by the poll workers.