Articles | 7 Ways to Discredit Yourself on Twitter

7 Ways to Discredit Yourself on Twitter

By: Lisa Lorraine Bowen
May 15th, 2017

Most people want to know how to get the highest ROI on Twitter for their business and personal accounts. These Tweeps set goals and objectives that indicate a certain number of followers they want to maintain and calculated retweet and favorite percentage targets as well. However, in working hard to grow an engaged and relevant following Tweeps are unaware of how they are actually running their Twitter accounts into ground in sending out tweets that are discrediting. In looking to expand their reach or create a buzz, they are doing more to harm themselves with over-reaching tactics.

The best generalized goal for being on Twitter and a way to not discredit your company or brand is to build relationships with the community that are mutually beneficial. For business, it is about establishing brand awareness and leadership by sharing the company's purpose, providing solutions, setting out differentiation, reinforcing vision, and creating relevance. For personal, it is about developing relationships by building a personal brand, sharing thought leadership, finding, and cultivating influencers.

    The following details the way in which many Tweeps are discrediting themselves on Twitter:

  1. BUZZY TITLES
    Calling yourself an "expert", "guru", "influencer", "thought-leader" or such without the means to back it up is the kiss of death and the fastest way to discrediting yourself. Share your interests and your strengths but do not boost yourself with lofty self-proclaimed titles. It is cheesy and at best untrue.


  2. HASHTAG OVERUSE
    Use relevant and commonly established tags that support your message. Two hash tags in a post are sufficient. Made up tags used for humor are rarely perceived as funny.


  3. SCRIPTED DIRECT MESSAGES
    Scripted direct messages stand out. No one is fooled into thinking that this is a personal message sent by you directly. Asking someone to follow your blog or visit your website is not appropriate here. Give them that opportunity within the great content that you tweet.


  4. BLATANT SELF-PROMOTION
    Sending out tweets that are read like an Ad is a good way to be unfollowed. No one wants commercials popping up on their timelines. There is an 80/20 rule to social media engagement. 80% of what you share should be generalized useful information for others leaving on 20% of your tweets to promote your own content. Repeated tweets pushing your own wares like a snake oil salesman stand out on your profile and discredit your message.


  5. MISLEADING CONTENT
    Misleading content is SPAM. Baiting followers to click links that take them to content that is unrelated to what you have promoted is SPAM. No one likes SPAM.


  6. CONTINUATION TWEETS
    If you cannot say what you need to say in 140 characters then post it on a blog, forum, social media post and share the link. This is more engaging and starts real conversations. In addition, continuation tweets are always read backwards.


  7. TROLLING TRENDING TAGS
    Tweeting inappropriately is just plain rude. If you cannot contribute to the message of the tweet then do not say tweet anything at all, retweet instead. Trending tags are an opportunity for you to join in the conversation in a meaningful way.